I didn’t always care for walnuts growing up, because I thought they were tasteless. But I grew to love walnuts simply because my first exposure to any kind of nut began with cracking open pecan shells at home with my family during the holidays. Eventually, I was introduced to walnuts. The nut that required the most effort to crack open its outside shell. Those little pieces would fly everywhere! Until one day a popular fast food chain heavily promoted a small fruit and walnut salad that included slices of green and red apples, sugared walnuts, plain yogurt and grapes. This combo is truly incredible because as a person that rarely ate fruit at the time, it provided various degrees of sweetness to satisfy my sweet tooth and good health benefits too!
Instead of running out to a fast food restuarant to pick up the awesome fruit and walnut salad I adored, I stopped by the grocery store and bought two of my stand out ingredients from the salad. I settled for the green apple and walnut combo. To this day, this has to be one of my favorite simple snacks! Another favorite snack of mine is key lime yogurt (any brand) & walnuts.
Health benefits of walnuts
- High quality antioxidant
- Good source of protein that can replace meat, vitamins, and minerals
- Decrease risk of heart disease
- Type 2 diabetes
Health benefits of green apples
- Fiber to regulate bowel movement and lower cholesterol
- Phytonutrients help to reduce blood sugar
- Eliminates certain bacteria in the digestive tract; which increases metabolism in the large intestine providing health benefits
- Aids in preventing certain types of cancer if eaten daily
- Provides antioxidants
- Anti-Asthma benefits
Plus, reduced risk of many other health problems.
Reference facts from websites: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?dbid=15&tname=foodspice#healthbenefits